Flagstone, often referred to as Natural Stone is a sedimentary stone that is split into thin layers. It includes slate, limestone, sandstone, bluestone, and travertine. Flagstone is usually laid on concrete using mortar as the joining adhesive. It is a great way of adding curb appeal to your home or business. Mr.Sod can install flagstone on an existing concrete surface or we can pour a new concrete slab to install flagstone on. Popular applications for flagstone in Ontario include porches, pool decks, and patios.
How is flagstone installed?
1. Demolition existing surface and excavate 6”- 18” from grade (Soil conditions will determine require dept). Haul materials for recycling.
2. Compact Native Soil. Add lime or portland cement if there are signs of cohesive soil.
3. Install Geo-Textile
4. Install 3/4 Crushed Stone (Dense Grade) or Clear Stone (Open Grade) depending on the site's drainage need. 4” for Pedestrian areas or 6” for vehicular areas
5. Ensure a slope of 1% to 2%
6. Compact Base Rock to 98% Standard Proctor Density
7. Set forms for concrete
8. Install Rebar
9. Pour Concrete
10. Install flagstone coping on the perimeter of the patio using mortar
11. Install flagstone pavers on the center of the patio
12. Install flagstone pavers as the facing of the patio if the patio is raised using thinset
13. Grout the flagstone